On January 4, 2015 after nearly 80 years in business and under pressure to evolve with the times, the Anchor closed its doors. An online petition began to circulate which passionately made the case to save the Anchor, garnering over 1200 signatures. Inspired by its legacy, we jumped onboard to revive this New Haven institution. In June of 2016, this venerable institution proudly re-opened its doors under the original name from 1933: The Anchor Spa. We are proud to be a part of the New Haven Community and collaborate with other local businesses. In keeping with this spirit, all of the items on our wall case in the dining room are from the antiques vendor English Builders Market on Chapel Street.
Named after the Milford, Connecticut beach where it first opened in 1933, The Anchor Spa moved to its current location on College Street in 1939. It originally opened as a cocktail bar, with a selection of over 50 classic cocktails. In its halcyon days, the Anchor became a favorite watering hole for actors, artists, poets, writers, and Yalies, and the after-work boîte for bartenders and staff from other bars. Over decades the cocktail lounge attracted playwright Thornton Wilder, writer Wally Lamb, and many celebrities, including Lucille Ball, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., George C. Scott, Jim Morrison, and Yale alumna Jodie Foster.